Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Lost (Doughnuts)


I had been looking forward to making these doughnuts, although the thought of figuring out how to fry them seemed very daunting. Inexperience + boiling oil = fear. That's an easy recipe.

Just when I got the guts to do it, I noticed that this recipe for doughnuts does not include flour. Is it even possible to make flourless donuts? Even if you don't use flour, surely there has got to be something to hold the batter together. The lack of an egg or two on that front seems problematic as well.

I read this recipe and I envision a big milky ball of sugar with a bit of butter. It just can't be right.

Perhaps my great-grandmother thought flour and eggs were such obvious ingredients that she didn't need to write them down.

It's at times like this that I want to break out the photo albums and label every grammar school friend, fourth cousin, and step-uncle just so that 75 years from now some grandchild or great-grandchild of mine isn't cursing me for assuming that what I know will be immediately intelligible to those around long after I am gone.

On that note, I present these pictures of people who were so obvious to my great-grandmother that she didn't bother to write down their names.

We'll call these folks The Flour:


And these, The Eggs:

No comments:

Post a Comment